home     about     gas station pizza     contact

Aug 22, 2022

Gas Station Pizza Review - Speedway in Lake Buena Vista


Speedway Convenience Store
1475 Buena Vista Dr, Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830



You never know when the insatiable urge to sink your teeth into some pizza is going to hit. One such craving hit me the other day after work, so I decided to grab a couple slices at the Speedway convenience store right next to my place of employment. 

The pizzas were in a pizza warmer with a rotating rack. They sure didn't look mouth watering, but once the smell hit me as I walked by, I decided to take a closer look. 

The price was $2.49 a slice, or two slices for $4.00. I was sold, and grabbed a couple slices not only two squash my craving, but also to entertain my morbid curiosity as to how they tasted.


Quite the variance in slice size


So as you can see. the slices weren't too terribly enticing. But then again, I wasn't going into this experiment with the bar set very high. Convenience store pies are usually crafted in a facility, possibly hundreds of miles away, flash frozen, and shipped out to their destinations across the nation. So in essence, you're simply eating frozen pizza.


The under crust really didn't reveal much, other than some browning and holes that had been poked in the crust. These holes are common in many frozen pizzas, and allow for steam and moisture to escape from the crust while baking.
 

Cheese hanging onto the cardboard tray for dear life


The Cheese Slice
I started out with the cheese slice, and I really concentrated on searching for the flavors therein. The first thing I noticed, was that I truly had to exert some force to tear into the crust, as it was pretty dense and thick. I remember searching for the taste of yeast or anything else that resembled Pizza crust, but it was devoid of flavor. 

The sauce wasn't too tasty either. I would liken it to the cheapest canned variety you could find at the supermarket. Finally, the cheese had no distinct flavor to it. This kind of surprised me, because even a cheap cheese with enough salt content can help to pull a bland slice together, but this one was pretty boring. In the end, this slice delivered a triple shot of blandness. 

The Pepperoni Slice
Next up was the pepperoni slice, which was enormous in comparison to the cheese slice. Peeking at the under crust of this slice revealed that this pizza was made differently, or by another manufacturer altogether. I did appreciate the corn meal dusted on the bottom of the crust, as that can usually help with texture and taste. 

This slice had a very similar flavor profile to the first, with two differences. First.. there was a considerable amount more sauce on this slice, which brought a little more flavor to the table. The second thing was the pepperoni, which ended up being this slice's saving grace. 

It was pretty crispy albeit dry from sitting in the warmer I'm sure for a couple of hours before my arrival. However, it's pepperoni! It breathed some life into an otherwise bland and tough slice of pizza. 

Pizza Geezer rating..

2 out of 5 Slices


These were definitely the most subpar pieces of pizza I've had in a very long time. I really do believe these slices lost a lot of their flavor due to simply being in the warmer far too long. I think the cheese and sauce, not to mention the dough, simply lost a ton of their moisture content in the warmer. I can say this.. the pizza wasn't bad. 

I mean, it wasn't good either, but it wasn't bad. It's pizza for Cripes Sake.. even when it's bad it's good right? 

Anyway, that was my review. I ate this convenience store pizza so you won't have to, unless you want to. Would I eat it again? I believe so, but with one caveat. It would have to be when the pizza is first put out for lunch and is piping hot. 

If the cheese still resembles cheese, the sauce hasn't evaporated away into nothingness, and the crust isn't as tough as shoe leather, the slices will most definitely taste 100% better.  

This experiment was actually quite fun, so I've decided to write these convenience store reviews on a regular basis. A lot of folks are feeling the squeeze of this economy right now, and convenience store pizza can be a way to satisfy a pizza craving without breaking the bank. 

Just don't expect me to down two slices next time. Partly for the sake of my waistline, and also for the sake of my jaw muscles. See you next time friends!